Support Desk

Submit a ticket My Tickets
Welcome
Login  Sign up

How are airdrops or forks taxed?

I regularly receive coins from forks/airdrops or other donated coins. How do I deal with them on my tax report?

• Hello Jochim,

The general category for donated coins is "gift". As the individual countries treat coin gifts differently from a tax point of view, there are various possibilities for registering them here.

Here are two ways you can enter your coin gifts (Airdrops, Forks etc):

1) You enter the coin as a gift. Its value at the time of receipt is calculated by the software and provides the cost basis on which a loss or profit is realized on sale.
     The value of the coin on receipt then appears in the income report of the year of receipt, the profit/loss in the year of sale.

2) You enter the coin as a gift and set the cost base of this coin to zero on the gains and tax page using the filter function (double click). This will set the value to zero at the time of receipt. When selling, the total value of the coin (and not only the difference to the purchase value) is calculated. The value of the coin on receipt then appears as zero in the income report of the year of receipt, the total value is recorded as a profit in the year of sale.

Login or Signup to post a comment